Ellen Saltonstall (E-RYT 500) is a yoga instructor and body therapist based in New York with extensive training in the Iyengar and Anusara methods. She has been a practitioner of yoga and meditation for over 40 years. In addition to teaching yoga, she developed and teaches Bodymind Ballwork, a method of self-massage using rubber balls. Ellen has authored four books. Yoga for Arthritis, 2008, and Yoga for Osteoporosis, 2010, were both co-authored with Dr. Loren Fishman. Her solo books include Anatomy & Yoga: A Guide for Teachers and Students, 2016, and The Bodymind Ballwork Method, 2018. She offers yoga therapy webinars through YogaOnlineU.com, and she teaches nationally and internationally with a specialty in anatomy and therapeutics. She describes her approach to bodywork and yoga as a combination of science and artistic expression. Please visit her website at www.ellensaltonstall.com.
Anatomy and/or therapeutics courses of varying length addressing the following topics:
- Basic anatomy of the major bones, joints, fascia, muscles and nerves of the body most relevant to yoga practitioners.
- Observations skills for teaching, with emphasis on how alignment and actions are based in good biomechanics
- Creative modifications of classic poses to allow students with limitations to practice safely and reap the benefits of yoga.
- Common musculoskeletal injuries and how to modify poses for healing and safety.
- Common medical conditions explained in lay terms, and general guidelines for safety in yoga practice.